Saturday, March 19, 2016

Fears...


Recently I was venting with my mom about our current shitshow of American presidential candidates. She didn't seem super worried; she thinks that if the lying, cheating, bigoted Republican frontrunner wins, he'll be limited enough in his decision-making. Or maybe she believes that someone more experienced in actual governance will win. My hope is for better unified healthcare instead of this dogshit system that's been cobbled together over 100 years. Ohh, your coverage means that you have to go to this hospital, not that one. This medication is covered, but not that one (despite needing both). It's complex, I get it, but we need to dismantle it and build a better system, instead of the current band-aid ACA. I'm confident that American tourists' reputations will continue to improve overseas, as we are more distanced from our leaders. Because honestly, the Baby Boomer generation's policymaking could be a little less selfish.


Another fear I've had as an adult is related to how much I used to want to be a father. I wanted to be a parent so badly and raise the perfect good-looking, quick-witted genius who is just barely less clever than me. Of course, between lots of living overseas and my massive life-shift to frugality, that desire has diminished. I also think the world sucks too much to bring a child into. The news is doing its work; I think my (partially?) black child is going to be shot by a police officer, or some dipshit politician is going to make policies that limit my children in some way. Lots of people get over these and have children anyway, but this collection of phobias are what keeps my party at 2 members.



I fear for my girlfriend, who studies late downtown and doesn't know how to defend herself. I am afraid that I won't have enough time in my remaining healthy life to visit all the places I want to because of other obligations. I'm worried about breaking down at work and quitting without having another job lined up.

Sure, I know that there are lists of valid counterpoints to how to solve or combat these fears, but I'll be GD'd if it doesn't keep me up at night.


No comments:

I am one of those people that uses the word  perfect subjectively. I think something is perfect if it does what it's intended to do ...