Sunday, March 29, 2015

Back home: now what?


As of writing, I have been back in lovely Seattle for 4 whole days. Yokohama was still pretty cold and rainy, and Seattle has had 2 sunnier, warmer days. Dat Northwest climate, dho...the summer will be warm and sometimes breezy, the beach barbecues and camping trips, and some quality bike trails. Yokohama has all of this, but now I know people who drive and, more importantly, eat as much as I do! What's on my plate now, though? Probably the priorities of any person returning home: find a place to live, find a job, see loved ones again. Sounds pretty standard, right?
This house! Almost 10 years ago, with Aaron and Jaaron

Place found! I'm lucky enough to have beds around the world where I am welcome to stay. Teaching English for as long as I have, I've made connections with students and traveling friends; a "couch passport," if you will. The latest was meeting a co-worker's family the night before I left Japan. She has a large family, and, although none of the parents, two sisters or brother speaks English, I wasn't the only non-Japanese person at that table. I've been hosted by families before, but this impromptu party and welcoming into their family was one of the best experiences in Japan, and happened at the end of my 2.5 years there. Timing is interesting.

This time, however, my roost is with my second family that's down the street from where I spent my childhood. This is where I've spent 3 of the last 4 Christmases, and it was the hangout house during high school and university. I'll be here for at least a month until I get that first paycheck. The next goal is to move within biking distance of work.

My last day 3 years ago. Now I'm coming back for the sequel!
Job potentially found! In a few days, I'll be meeting a hiring manager at my previous school to see how I can help! From Japan, I had made a goal of working for Amazon, in some kind of Japan-US liaising position, which eventually turned into general marketing. I had the idea that a) I needed a break from teaching, b) I didn't want to lose the salary, c) I want to transfer my personal skills into something new. However, one of the benefits of staying in the same career is knowing the right people and making interviews formalities rather than evaluative tests. Good friends and fellow teachers have referred me for my last 3 jobs in the last 5 years, and I am thankful for that. Even if I still go for Amazon or Nintendo, no one can diss me for applying from a safe (read: employed) position.

Loved ones have been contacted or called, and everything is more or less the same. People around me are moving upward!

Other to-dos are maintaining a frugal lifestyle without too much help from my families, selling and downsizing my 10 boxes of possessions, getting comfortable with my bike in a different setting, and lowering my carb intake. I'd like to think these are realistic, attainable goals for the near future. What are your living, working, and relationship goals? Is there anything I missed?

No comments:

I am one of those people that uses the word  perfect subjectively. I think something is perfect if it does what it's intended to do ...